BMW DIY, Z4 2.5i, 3.0i Water Pump Removal, How To Replace, E85, E86
The E85/6 Z4 Roadster and Coupe models (2003 through 2008) use the M54 24-valve, double VANOS, 6-cylinder engine. Replacing the water pump on these models is done in the same manner as other BMW models that have the M50, M52, M52TU, M54a nd M56 engines (2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0) , as well as the S50 and S52 M-engines. Below is our DIY Video for replacing the water pump in these engines. However, the E85/86 Z4 models with the M54 engine have a unique problem in removal of the water pump.
The E85/86 Z4 employs the radiator support (front brace) BEHIND the radiator (as opposed to in front, as most vehicles are set-up). The support/brace prevents the water pump from being removed from the engine. BMW’s service procedure is to remove the complete front of the car ….. in order to remove the support/brace and, ultimately, the water pump.
We have found a quick and easy way to remove the pump without the extra work that BMW suggests.
1) Remove any under-engine splash shield(s) in order to access the left (driver) side engine mount and oil pan.
2) Remove the lower securing nut from the left engine mount stud.
3) Place a floor jack under the mount arm or the oil pan (toward the left (driver) side of the pan, with a block of wood large enough to extend past the edges of the lower pan sump, between the pan and the jack pad.
4) Carefully lift the left side of the engine just enough to allow the water pump to be pulled forward through the opening in the structure of the support/brace.
5) Perform the water pump replacement, then lower and reconnect the left engine mount. Install the splash shield(s) and finish the full water pump replacement.