BMW and MINI Pre-Trip Service and Inspection
Looking forward to heading out for a road trip in your BMW or MINI? Naturally, the baby is all cleaned up, vacuumed, waxed and detailed, right? But, hold on there! In the excitement of hitting the road and “getting” to drive (vs. the other mind set of “having” to drive, as much of the populace would fall into), don’t forget the most important part of getting ready …… Your BMW’s or MINI’s functional operating systems. You know, the stuff that can make you late, strand you on the side of the road, ruin your day, ruin the complete trip, even injure or kill you.
Let’s schedule out an hour or two (even less, depending on how you maintain your vehicle) to run through the systems from both a maintenance and a safety outlook.
1) Make sure the vehicle is up to date on regular scheduled maintenance; fluid changes, filter changes, suspension inspections, brake inspections, driveline inspections, etc. Click HERE to check Otto’s Ultimate Maintenance Schedule for your BMW or MINI.
2) Check the under-hood fluid levels; coolant, engine oil (if dipstick is available), transmission fluid (if dipstick is available), power steering fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid.
3) Check the engine’s accessory drive belts and coolant hoses.
Watch Otto’s DIY video on under-hood inspections:
4) Check tire air pressures, tread wear and sidewall condition. Click HERE for Otto’s tire inspection guidelines.
5) Inspect the windshield wipers for rough rubber (causes streaking), tears or other damage. Click HERE for Otto’s DIY articles (videos & photos) on wiper blade replacement.
5) Finally, we wholeheartedly recommend an application of the Aquapel rain repellent windshield treatment. This will make your drive much more relaxing if you run into rainy weather, especially at night!
Watch Otto’s DIY video on Aquapel application: