DIY Video – BMW and MINI Wiper Blade Replacement How To
One of our most common DIY questions is how to replace wiper blades on BMWs and MINIs. This common maintenance task is typically quick and easy and requires no tools. While most applications are somewhat obvious, there are a few unique points for some of the models. Our DIY video will show you the installation points on common BMW and MINI models. For models not mentioned in the video, see the additional links below.
When it come to replacing your BMW’s or MINI’s windshield wipers, you have a lot of choices and the number of options can be confusing. Why so many different wiper blades? Don’t they all do the same thing, wipe the water from the windshield? Well, yes, but…
All wiper blades are not created equal. Some blades work better under certain circumstances, some blades offer low price, some blades offer long service life. At Bavarian Autosport, the wiper blade assortment that we’ve developed can satisfy any BMW or MINI owner’s specific needs for wiper blades, except, in the case of “cheap” (low quality) blades. What do we offer? Some offerings are not available for every BMW model, but here is the full range, below:
- Fresh rubber inserts for the original BMW/MINI wiper arm assemblies – These inserts are cost effective, but can be tedious to install.
- Original BMW/MINI full wiper blade replacements – Somewhat costly, but easy to install and they will work just like the ones that came on your BMW or MINI, when new.
- Bosch Excel replacement wiper blades – Complete wiper blade replacements, easy to install, low cost, longer life and better wiping performance than BMW original blades.
- Bosch ICON replacement wiper blades – Complete wiper blade replacements, easy to install, medium cost, longer life and better wiping performance than BMW original blades. The unique low-profile design reduces blade lift at higher vehicle and wiper speeds (they look cool too!).
- PIAA Super Silicone replacement wiper blades – Complete wiper blade replacements, easy to install, higher cost, much longer life, better wiping performance than BMW original blades and better wiping performance than Bosch blades. Silicone blades actually apply a layer of silicone to the windshield, which acts as the blade’s wiping surface.
- PIAA Super Silicone replacement wiper blades with spoiler – Same as the standard PIAA Super Silicone blades (above), but with an integral anti-lift spoiler that helps prevent blade lift at higher vehicle speeds.* PIAA Silencio replacement wiper blades – Easy to install, higher cost, longest life, best wiping. One piece design (similar to the Bosch ICON), using the PIAA silicone wiping blade, like the Super Silicone blades.
- PIAA Silencio X-TRM replacement wiper blades – Higher cost, longest life, best wiping. One piece back-bone and blade design, similar to the Bosch ICON, but with the PIAA silicone wiping technology.
After installing your new wiper blades, treat the windshield with Aquapel water repellant treatment, for the best wiping ever! Click HERE for the Aquapel DIY video and full blog post.