BMW 6-Cylinder – Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement DIY – M52, M52TU, M54, S52
This answer is applicable for many BMWs in addition to the one listed below.
car year: 2001
car model: X5 3.0i
Could you please tell me where the crank position sensor is located on a 2001 X5 3.0 and how to remove it.
On the M54 engine that is in your X5, (as well as the M52, M52TU and S52 6-cylinder engines used in the E36, E46, E39, E60, Z3, Z4, X3 & X5 models), the crankshaft position sensor is mounted into the rear of the engine block, on the driver’s side. The sensor is mounted below the starter motor.
* Safely raise and support the front of the vehicle.
* Remove the under engine splash panel.
* On M54 engines, cut the plastic wire-tie (zip-tie) that is around the sensor harness plug. and disconnect the plug from the sensor. Earlier models have a length of harness as part of the sensor. Follow the harness to the connector plug and disconnect the plug.
* Remove the single mounting bolt and pull the sensor from the engine block.
* Install the new sensor in the reverse order.
The Bentley repair manual covers this procedure and includes photos.