BMW E30 Headlight Switch Removal DIY – 325i and Others
car year: 1991
car model: 325i
How do you remove a headlight switch?
The headlight switch on the E30 chassis (3-series 84-91 - 325e, 325es, 325i, 325is, 325ic, 325ix, 318i, 318is, 318ic, M3) is relatively easy to remove.
This photo shows the parts that you will be working with, removed from the vehicle:
* Remove the lower dash trim panel.
* Reach up behind the headlight and fog light switches and push the fog light switch out of the faceplate. Remove the switch from the harness plug.
* Reach behind the left side of the headlight switch face plate, up to the upper face plate securing nut (upper-left of the panel – 8mm hex) and loosen it as much as you can, with your fingers. Push on the face plate to relieve the tension on the nut. Do not try to actually remove the nut.
* Gently pull out the left end of the center face plate and then pull out the right end of the headlight switch face plate. Push/slide the headlight face plate to the right, in order to slide the left-upper stud and nut out of the slot in the dash panel.
* It would be wise to replace the illumination bulb at this time. Use bulb # 2721
* Insert the new switch into the panel and connect the harness plug.
* Install the switch into the face plate mounting sleeve.
* Slide the face plate into place, sliding the upper-left stud and nut into the panel slot. Install the illumination bulb and socket into the amber light mount and then fit the panel into place.
* Tighten the upper-left face plate nut as much as you can, with your fingers (push on the plate so the you can get the nut tighter). Tighten the lower-right nut. Install and tighten the center face plate knurled nut.
* Pull the fog light harness plug through the fog light switch hole and connect the fog light switch. Push the harness and switch into the hole until the switch is fully seated.
* Install the headlight switch knob.
* Install the lower dash trim panel.