BMW Keyless Entry Reset/Key Initialization – 2002 530i E39
I bought a 2002 BMW 530i and went to the dealership and purchased a new key for the doors and ignition. I am not able to activate keyless entry. I have used the key for several months to charge up. What can I do?
The Bentley repair manual contains a few pages detailing the keyless entry diagnosis and coding features and operations (pages 515-10 and 515-11).
Here’s the initialization process, in abbreviated form:
- Close all doors, have all keys available.
- Using the first key, turn ignition switch to the ACCESSORY position, then switch off within 5-seconds and remove key.
- Within 30 seconds of turning ignition off, press and hold the unlock button on the key.
- While holding the unlock button,press and release the lock button three times within 10-seconds.
- Release both buttons. The doors should immediately lock & unlock, signaling a successful initialization.
- Initialize the remaining keys by following the above process with each key.
Always initialize the keys in the original order. If this is not done, any memory setting for individual keys will be lost.